Othello Tournament Rules
- No Late Penalty Othello Project Deadline: Monday, Dec. 10 at 11:59 PM
- Code Freeze and Preliminary Round: Wed, Dec. 12 at 11 AM, back of Ryon Lab
- Code Freeze and Final Round: Friday, Dec. 14 at 1 PM, back of Ryon
- Each participating group must sign up for the tournament by
openning the world writable file
/home/comp212/OthelloSignup and adding the path to your
group's player to the file. Keep in mind this file can be open by more
than one person at a time, so you must check the file a few minutes
after you save it to make sure somone didn't accidentally overwrite
it. Also, please make sure you have the file open for as little time
as possible in order to prevent overwriting others.
- You must precompile all classes relating to your player before the start
of the tournament. We will use reflection to load your player. We do not
have write permission nor the time to compile your players. Remember the naming
conventions asked for in the Project write up. Be sure
that your strategy has either a constructor that takes no parameters or a
constructor that takes a single IModel parameter!
- The maximum time you have for each move is 60 seconds.
- Everyone should enter the tournament. You will receive bonus
points to your final average if you beat Dr. Nguyen and Dr. Wong's
player. Even the simplest strategies have made it to the final round.
- The tournament will be in a round-robin style. The preliminary
round will divide the class into two or three groups that will compete
against each other. You willeach play once as white and once as black
against each other player in your group.
- The tournament will be run on the Ultra 10's in the back of ryon
- You have about a day and a half to tweak your player for the
tournament after the project deadline. You must stop working once the
tournament has begun. If you make it to the final round, you will have
the ability to tweak your code again until the start of the final
- You do not have to be present to participate. However, everyone is
encouraged to show up at the final round. Refreshments will be served.
- Winners will be
notified by email and posted on the web
- Any issues not explicitly addressed in this document will be
decided by the tournament administrators. These rules are setup to
make things as fair as possible. Any foul play will result in
- Any questions? Email us.