- Install latest Java Development Kit ("JDK")
- Install latest version of Eclipse
- Install Eclipse plug-ins. Note: Not all plugins shown on installation page are needed!
See your semester's specific instructions on the required plugins in Canvas!
- Install latest Yatta "UML Lab" diagramming plug-in
- See "
Software Configuration and Licensing" section in Canvas for directions on how to obtain the license key. You MUST be on-campus and connected to the Rice network when you enter this key!
- Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs):
- Model-View-Controller ("MVC") Design Pattern
- Inner Classes:
Subclipse/SVN Source Control
See the "Eclipse/Using Subclipse" reference links above! The discussion below continues on those pages.
Why use source control?
- Your code is stored on a remote server that is backed up regularly
- Your development history is preserved
- You can view a previous version of your work
- You can "roll back" your work to a previous version
- Multiple people can work on the same project without stomping on each other's code.
- Code updates from one person are quickly and easily transmitted to everyone else in the group.
- No need to explicitly turn in your work -- your last commit or tag is your turned-in assignment.
- The staff, who has access to all student repositories, can easily obtain and work with your code without having to send anything though e-mails or dropboxes.
© 2020 by Stephen Wong