ELEC 301 Signals and Systems
Group Project Info
Open ended investigations into application areas of signals
and systems in gangs of 3-4 members.
A written report containing the theoretical background,
methods employed, practical application results, plus a breakdown of
each gang member's role. The report must be written in HTML and be
available on the WWW. Projects will be archived for posterity.
Length: equivalent of 10-15 pages. (50% of grade)
A poster presentation on your project. (50% of grade)
Grading will be based on the results of the work (that is, 'did it
work?'), the degree of innovation, and the quality of the written
report and poster presentation.
12 November: Set up gang (3-4 members);
choose topic and gang name.
Email Michael Lexa with this info.
Exam week: Written reports due; poster session.
- Analyze, design, and implement 1-d analog filters
- Analyze, design, and implement 1-d digital filters in Matlab or
on a DSP chip
- Analyze, design, and implement 2-d (image) digital filters in
- FFT algorithms
- Adaptive filters (LMS algorithm)
- Practical A/D and D/A conversion
- Multirate DSP (filter banks)
- Wavelets (image compression, thresholding for noise removal)
- Tomography for medical imaging
- Detection and classification for target recognition
- Communication systems (AM, FM, CDMA)
- Vowel recognition in speech using Fourier transforms
- Splines for DSP
- Radar simulation in Matlab
- See also past projects from Elec301
Elec 431 (1995,
If you build on a previous project, you must reference it and state
explicitly what value you have added.
24 August 2000.